Resources for eBook Developers
Below are some resources that we think will help others in the eBook production community. Please feel free to download the sample files, visit the various websites, and let us know if you have some ideas for other resources we can link to.
- ePrdctn.org — eBook Production wiki, with examples, bugs, hacks, and other important eBook Creation information.
- #eprdctn — Twitter hashtag used to mark tweets related to eBook production. This is a great resource for eBook developers.
- eBook Ninjas — Our (almost) weekly eBook news and commentary podcast
- TeleRead — eBook news blog
- The Digital Reader — eBook news blog
- MobileRead — Forums, wiki, and other helpful information
eBook files used for testing
If you are looking for an easy way to run ePubCheck or KindleGen on files in Windows, you can create a batch file (like “ePubCheck.bat”), put the proper DOS command into the file pointing to the correct location and name of the ePubCheck or KindleGen program, and just drop files onto it. For examples, download the batch scripts for ePubCheck and KindleGen here and open them in a text editor like Notepad.
- Kindle Publishing Pprtal — Amazon’s list of resources and information on the creation of Kindle eBooks. We highly recommend you read the Kindle Publishing Guidelines.
- Kindle Formatting: The Complete Guide — Joshua’s guide to creating eBooks in the older Mobipocket 7 eBook format
- Kindle Apps — links to all of the applications that read Kindle books from Amazon